Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Candlelight Club

Last evening, I cried. Today morning, I cried again. I hear these words, and my lachrymal glands start to work overtime.

Woman: "These candles, what does it mean?"
Man: "You'll find out. Lets dance now"

These lines are from the movie "Waterloo Bridge (1940). They don't make movies like that anymore. Romance doesn't happen like that anymore. You don't see love like that anymore. You hardly even see restaurants like that anymore. Couples don't dance like that anymore.

We have a very dashing, charming, handsome Robert Taylor and a beautiful Vivian Leigh holding each other with only the slightest of touches and dancing. This happens at a place named "the Candlelight Club". Three men playing the violin to the tune of "Auld Lang Syne" , with candles lit in front of them, complete the picture. At one point, the men intently play, and take one look at the crowd, and swiftly albeit delicately put out the candles. Screen fades to black, while the two continue to dance. The only guiding light they have is each others eyes.

In the darkness, you then hear the strains of the song........

My mind fades to the rude shock of 2009. I sit in a "coffee bar" that tries to include the concept of outdoor seating irrespective of the location. I hear the blaring noises of the traffic going by. I look around, see a young couple loudly singing along to something on the lines of 'My life would suck without you". All the while desperately trying to count the change in each others pockets using their toes. or hands. Or both.

I'm almost gasping at the change 6 decades have brought about. Three generations. Innocence lost. Loving glances turning to lustful stares. Waltzing in each others arms turning to frantic one night stands. Stolen Smiles turning to bawdy pick-up lines. When did all this happen? Where did the purity of true love get lost? I try to process all this information, and I'm left wondering.

Was the 40's a time of total sexual deprivation and suppression that primal thoughts had to come bursting out in the open someday, or is the 21st century a time of total deprivation of innocence and romantic cleanliness? Are we not allowed to be sweet anymore? Are we so busy trying to fit into the kinky schoolgirl's uniform that the snug headmistress' wrap chokes us? Are we so busy trying to pretend we dont have earnest feelings, to a point where we cannot get them to the surface anymore?

Close your eyes, mentally light a candle and touch the hand of someone you love. Put out the candle, open your eyes and tell me what you see.

I see a teardrop.