Sunday, February 5, 2012

The White Car syndrome

Any Indian will know what I mean(It's definitely not the best content for a post after a gap of almost a year-and-a-half, but oh well. Whatever.). Most Indians do not buy white cars.

If you ask someone who was born before the 80's, white cars are for taxis. Black cars are for people who don't believe in God, rich kids and/or yuppies who don't listen to their parents, or people who just want to seem cool.

Just this morning, as I was getting back home from the local monastery I visit Sunday mornings (another post about that, later), I stopped at a traffic intersection next to a white car. With he dreaded yellow plates. And the even more dreaded paan stains on the drivers side. YECHH. Jumping the red light and paying the fine would have been totally worth it but for the other stupid car blocking my way.

And then there was these two white color high end cars down the street. (I'm sorry, but a Honda Civic IS an upmarket car in India). Maybe there was hope somewhere, to see these shiny, well maintained ... nice cars driving around.

Which brings me to part two of my rant - why are red cars more attractive? Whats with "when I grow up, I want a red Ferrari). Hmm I wonder what the kids would be tutored to say if we saw red taxis in our country.

Well the positive side is, I see blue cabs on the streets nowadays. Definitely a break from the monotone of white. The downside: I can't buy a blue car, either.


1 comment:

Kanchan said...

Its why people who have bought the Logan repent now ;)